Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Buzz - Burgers, Barrels & Beer

Buzz - Burgers, Barrels & Beer is not only the most complicated name I've ever heard for a restaurant, it's also home to sloppy, inedible burgers.  I should have known better as soon as I walked into this place.  The decor is just strange for lack of a better word.  Everything feels mismatched from the hangings on the wall to the bar stools.  I'm not really sure what the owners were going for ambiance wise.  I just know it doesn't work.  Strange decor has never stopped me from enjoying a burger though.  In fact, many of my favorite burgers come from some pretty hole in the wall type places.  Unfortunately, Buzz - Burgers, Barrels & Beer is not one of those places.

I ordered The American which, according to the menu, includes cheddar cheese, bacon, balsamic onions, and a farm fresh egg.  What the menu doesn't tell you is that this burger also come with about a quart of nasty truffle mayo.  While truffle mayo can be a nice addition to a burger, it's just way too potent here.  I ended up scraping the majority of it off with a knife, but the taste still dominated the burger.   Truffle mayo aside, this burger just didn't work from a structural standpoint.  After about two bites, the patty began the crumble, leaving me with a mess of beef, egg yolk, and truffle mayo.  A great burger should maintain its structural integrity throughout, which certainly isn't the case here. 

From a value perspective, this burger fared even worse.  At $10, I fully expect some type of side to be included.  Unfortunately, all the salads and fries are served a la carte, making this entire meal a pretty poor value.  At the moment, this place is BYOB which is the only thing saving it from an F score in value.  Take my advice, Buzz - Burgers, Barrels & Beer isn't worth your time or money.

Burger:  F
Value:  D
Overall: D-

The American Burger at Buzz - Burgers, Barrels & Beer is a sloppy, hot circle of garbage.
1935 Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL 60613, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment