Search This Blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Galway Arms

I've lived within walking distance of The Galway Arms for nearly 4 years now, but I had never eaten there.  I’m a sucker for a good burger special, so when I spotted a sign for $5 burgers on Thursdays, I decided to give it a chance.  The specials seem to change frequently, and the website looks like it hasn't been updated since the Clinton administration.  I wasn't able to find any information confirming that this deal still exists.  For that reason, I can’t guarantee this special still exists, but, trust me, you’re not missing out.

To quote the late, great Rodney Dangerfield, this burger “still had marks where the jockey was hittin’ it.”   It tasted like a store brand, frozen beef patty that sat in the back of fraternity house freezer for the better part of a decade collecting freezer burn until some unlucky soul uncovered it and threw it on the grill.  It’s really a shame when restaurants choose to use frozen beef over fresh.  It many cases it's not any more costly to use fresh ingredients, and you're certainly not fooling anyone.  The texture and the taste were completely unappetizing.  The burger was a strange grey color and had an offensive aroma.  After giving up on the burger I tried a few of the fries.  I'm nearly certain these were frozen at some point as well.

I really wanted to like this burger given the price, the proximity to my apartment, and the terrific patio overlooking Clark Street, but this will likely go down as one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten.

Burger: F
Value:  D
Overall:  F
If you look carefully, you might be able to make out the marks from the jockey.
2442 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60614
http://www.galwayarms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment