Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

McGee's Tavern & Grille

The Bar1 Group does a whole lot of wrong, and McGee's is the best example of this. Nestled on Webster steps away from the DePaul campus, this bar definitely gets a lot of traffic. Expect the same crappy "sports bar" features like a poorly engineered bathroom only one rung above the one in "Slumdog Millionaire" and large-chested waitresses in tank tops with names like "Mandi." Beer options are pretty vast, but most Chad's and Blaine's stick with the Budweiser family here.

I had the misfortune of trying the Wednesday $1 burger special (toppings an additional charge) the day I was let go from my job. My logic was sound enough-- I was going to be consuming copious amounts of beer and cleverly named bombs to quell the pain, and wanted to get a good buffer in my system. Responsible, right? Honestly, I would have been doing my tastebuds and digestive system less of a disservice if I had just gotten taquitos off the roller grill at 7-11 with a side of Flaming Hot Cheetos (and a Gatorade for the morning-- this isn't my first time at the rodeo). 

The burger was so well-done and gray. I wish I had packed my own store-brand bun in a Ziplock bag for the burger, because whatever they were using was completely stale. Cheese somewhat masks the frozen-to-grill taste of the burger. It was depressing seeing that their burgers are normally priced from $10-$14. I ate so little of the burger, but destroyed a good portion of my fries. Had I not ordered fries, I would have been vomiting my "McGriddle" shots on the steps of the nearby St. Vincent DePaul church. 

Because my drinking companion and I ordered so much booze that our receipt was about a foot long, the waitress asked what we were celebrating. When I said I had lost my corporate job, she sympathetically told me that McGee's is hiring waitresses.

Burger:  D
Value:  C-
Overall:  D+
If this picture looks blurry, it's because this burger isn't worth the MBs on my iPhone. 
950 W Webster Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
http://www.bar1events.com/mcgees/

No comments:

Post a Comment